Get ready for a night in the theatre (from home)! This is a great opportunity to see world class performances; test a new genre and to start dreaming of going back to the theatre - when the time is right.
Sydney Opera House
The Sydney Opera House’s digital initiative – From Our House to Yours – offers full-length, live-streamed performances and talks, never-before-seen footage, podcasts, playlists and more. All free and scheduled to livestream new content Wednesday to Sunday, or view past performances on demand.
Just some examples of the selection include:
• Bangarra Terrain – explores the relationship of Indigenous people to country and how landscape becomes a second skin.
• The Tap Pack (Live) – the modern kings of swing return for a special live performance.
• The Music of Giorgio Moroder – a spectacular electro-orchestral tribute to the ‘the godfather of EDM’ with Britain’s renegade 50-piece Heritage Orchestra.
Opera Australia has launched OA | TV, a free streaming service that brings the best of Opera Australia to you at home. With exclusive content from the Opera Australia back catalogue, including the world’s most comprehensive collection of Dame Joan Sutherland performances and the Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour productions. There’s also In Conversation with Lyndon Terracini, a series of chat show-style interviews, plus behind the scenes footage, with new content added weekly.
Try these for starters:
• Dame Joan Sutherland delighting audiences in The Merry Widow (1988).
• Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour productions of La Traviata, Madama Butterfly and Aida.
• A fascinating interview with Opera Australia Concertmaster, Jun Yi Ma, about his life and work.
Arts Centre Melbourne
Arts Centre Melbourne’s Together with You digital content collection features never-before-seen items from the Australian Performing Arts Collection and Australian Music Vault, stories, virtual workshops, new commissions and documentaries, alongside some unforgettable performances.
The Australian Music Vault’s Long Play Series features hour-long, online video interviews that delve further into the stories behind some of Australia’s favourite artists and industry heavyweights, including Archie Roach AM, Judith Durham AO, Tina Arena AM, and Michael Gudinski AM.
And Arts Centre Melbourne’s Big Night In with John Foreman brings artists and musicians together virtually, for a spectacular new musical entertainment show! Tune in to catch up with some remarkable guests, chit-chat, songs and a grand finale music act performed with the Aussie Pops Orchestra. New episodes live streamed Wednesdays at 7pm or tune in to the last few week’s episodes here.
So, dust off your theatre outfit (the comfy one), put some bubbles in the fridge for interval (on the sofa) and make the most of this unprecedented access to digital culture.
Header: Bangarra Dance Theatre, Sydney Opera House.
Credit: Opera Australia, Sydney.
Credit: Sydney Opera House. Sydney.
Credit: Arts Centre Melbourne Spire Illuminated Yellow. Photo by Mark Gambino.